Debbie’s only wish in sharing this course is to inspire authentic and heartfelt Yoga Teachers to find their own voice whilst still paying deep respect to the origins of Yoga – and supporting those teachers to continue to share Yoga and inspire change in the world.
The course starts with the understanding that we are all part of a great lineage that goes back teacher-to-teacher to the beginning of time. When our practice begins we become a part of this line of grace – and what we learn has a source of energy and knowledge that comes to us through our practice.
Detailed study and practice of all aspects of Yoga forms the foundation of the training programme. Deepening personal practice will be emphasised as the key to unlocking the essence of each practice shared, which in turn gives rise to inspired, creative and joyful teaching.
This 250hr+ course differs from other 200hr foundation courses as its emphasis is on teaching as a tool for learning. It acknowledges the need for in depth teaching experience, skills, and advice rather than just helping you to improve your personal asana practice.
Each month you will be invited to develop your teaching skills so that you grow in confidence and begin to unravel, understand and evolve your own uniquely personal teaching style.
Our yearlong programme will examine all aspects of Yoga, from the physical practices of asana, pranayama, meditation and anatomy in its many layers and forms. There will also be an in depth study of the philosophy of Yoga, the key Yogic Philosophical texts, and spiritual concepts, such as the Chakras and the energy body made relevant to todays world.
Our training consists of 26 full tuition days. These include a 7 day Immersion Retreat at Gaunts House in Dorchester – followed by 8 weekends at Lloyd Hall in Outwood, Surrey and closing with a 3 day Graduation Retreat back at Gaunts House.
Total Contact Teaching Hours: 228
Module 1 – Asana
This part of the course will explore the relationship of the practice of asana to the true goal of Yoga, liberation. Some of the topics we will explore include:
- Asana’s function as a part of practice
- How and why Asana can move us towards liberation
- Physical alignment
- Energy lines
- Extension, foundation, opposing forces and core stability
- Playing the edge (point of resistance) and adapting postures to individual needs
- The use of props to gain deeper understanding of the mechanics of each pose
- Breathing and growing into the pose
- Hands on adjustments
- Physical, mental and energetic effects of the pose
- Learning to see and understand bodies
- The anatomy and physiology of each pose
Module 2 – Pranayama
The breath is the very essence of our practice. Trainees will learn the fundamental mechanics of breathing, simple dynamic breath practices to move into energised stillness and subtle use of breath to awaken dormant inner energy flows and centres.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Pranayama include:
- The breathing mechanism
- The use of dynamic breathing to elicit energised stillness
- The use of Mudras and Bandhas to harness and direct the breath flow
- The relationship between breath and mind
- Internalising breath awareness for specific effects
- Yogic physiology, the discovery of the Koshas, Chakras, Nadis, Marmas, Pranas and the vibratory power of mantras to dissolve internal blockages
Module 3 – Meditation
The systematic sequence of meditation practice taught to trainees on the course is designed to gently strengthen, focus and quieten the mind. Re‐ awakening our inherent intuition, freedom and spontaneity, bringing a new meaning and depth to everything we do.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Meditation include:
- Creating a sacred space for practice and establishing a seat
- Moving into stillness
- Choice less observation
- Breath awareness
- Yogic sleep (Yoga Nidra)
- Feeling the energy we are made of
- Purification of the chakras
- Connecting with the inner flow
- Affirmation and reflections
- Mantra and Japa
- Meditation theory
- The shatkarmas (cleansing practices) to purify our internal space
- Chanting and Kirtan (devotional singing)
Module 4 – Yoga Philosophy
Yoga is timeless and its application is universal. It’s a spiritual tradition that represents the cumulative wisdom of sages and seers over a period of more than 5000 years. It is therefore important for us to understand the tradition for which we speak and from which we practice.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Yoga Philosophy include:
- The teachings of the Yoga sutras, the Bhagavad Gita and the Hatha Yoga Pradpika
- The historical development and background of Yoga
- Application of the teachings in everyday life
- The 8 limbs of Yoga
- Modern schools of Yoga and styles of teaching
- The underlying unity of various approaches to Yoga practice
Module 5 – Ayurveda
Thousands of years before modern medicine provided scientific evidence for the mind-body connection, the sages of India developed Ayurveda, which continues to be one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems. More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy while realizing their full human potential.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Anatomy & Physiology include:
- Doshas de-coded, leanr about your unique mind/body type
- Ayurveda and asana
- Vata, Pitta & Kapha
- The five elements & the twenty qualities
- Cultivating balance in our system
- Harnessing the power of Ayurveda
Module 6 – Anatomy and Physiology
Some of the many topics we will explore in Anatomy & Physiology include:
- General Anatomy ‐ developing an understanding of the workings of the physical body and its systems to gain greater insight into our asana
- Anatomy of Asana – developing an understanding of the functioning of the various bodily systems in asana practice, with special concentration on the workings of the musculoskeletal
- Energetic Anatomy ‐ while the physical aspects of the practice have far reaching benefits, the real transformative power lies in the more subtle aspects of our We will develop and understand the relationship between the various bodies (koshas) as well as the various components of the energy system and how they can be used to move enhance our asana practice.
Module 7 – Teaching Methodology
The art of teaching is Yoga in itself, requiring sensitivity, compassion and understanding, as well as lots of practice! When we begin to teach, or think like a teacher, our understanding of Yoga deepens and matures. There will be many opportunities during the course to fine tune and play with teaching skills.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Teaching Methodology include:
- How to be a safe and effective teacher
- The art of sequencing
- How to structure a class
- Use of voice, choice of words, body language, touch and timing
- Observing the needs of students
- Class themes and intentions
- Psychology of the student / teacher relationship
- Teaching ethics
- Creating a sacred space for your students to practice in
Module 8 – Becoming a Teacher, Tools of the Trade
To be a success, you need 20 percent facts—earning a yoga teacher certification—and 80 percent business savvy plus a whole lot of passion for your craft. One of the biggest obstacles for newly fledged yoga teachers is the daunting task of actually setting up that very first class and then to encourage consistent attendance.
Some of the many topics we will explore in Becoming a Teacher include:
- After the course finishes
- Setting up a Yoga class
- The business side of Yoga
- Strategic long term class planning
- 12 Yogic diagnostic tools
- Working with private clients
Our unique course offers an opportunity to dive deep into the timeless teachings of Yoga and is recognised and accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals.
It is the perfect foundation Teacher training for anyone wishing to start on their journey as a yoga teacher or serve as an additional training to those who have already completed a teacher training but feel that they require greater knowledge and confidence to become an amazing yoga facilitator.